You can relax and reboot in different ways. One of them is meditation. Regular classes completely change the attitude to life, open up new opportunities, make you see important things. Many successful people use such practices, regularly perform, get results. This article describes in detail how to meditate correctly, as far as possible to learn it at home.
How to learn to meditate correctly
The effect of meditation is underestimated only by people who have never done it. If a person knows how to meditate correctly and does it regularly, then he is already on the way to success. He is not irritated by small things, he clearly articulates his thoughts, appreciates important things, passes by trifles.
Meditation classes are shown to people who are in a hurry all their life, do not have time to do anything, arrive in a bad mood, have a tendency to depression, build illusions.
What is meditation?
It is a mistake to believe that meditation is associated with some kind of shamanism or sorcery. Only unenlightened beginners think so. Meditation is a mental state that uses a series of special exercises or practices to achieve it. Traditional medicine has proved that meditation helps to normalize mental and somatic processes. But this is not the only reason people meditate.
What goals are pursued:
- clearing the mind, getting rid of unnecessary thoughts;
- relieving anxiety, tension;
- increasing the level of self-awareness;
- disclosure of the internal potential;
- the desire to take a different view of reality, problems, environment.
Just 20 minutes of proper meditation in the morning will increase the productivity of the entire working day. To begin with, you can even use a 10 minute meditation.
At the same time, it is important not only to know what meditation is, how to learn to meditate but also to find the right lessons, to master the main nuances. From the first time the effect is not visible, but gradually honed technique, people begin to notice positive changes. Sometimes they appear after a few months, but in some cases, it takes years to find complete harmony, change the position of life.
General recommendations for beginners
There are many ways that beginners can learn to meditate at home. Ideal option-classes with a specialist. In large cities, there are group courses for beginners, where it is easy to learn the correct technique, learn about all the nuances. Not everyone has the opportunity to attend classes. In this case, come to the aid of educational literature, video lessons. In them you can find all the necessary information, where and how to start meditating.
- Make a decision. Classes should be held regularly, regardless of the mood, weather outside the window.
- Determine a convenient time for meditation, find a suitable place, remove all distractions.
- Determine the type of meditation.
- Find suitable lessons or use the information below.
You don’t need a meditation bench. No additional items are required, just an ordinary rug or a comfortable place on the floor or a normal chair. A meditation timer can even harm. It is much better to start and finish meditating naturally and smoothly, without being distracted by extraneous sounds.
You don’t need special clothes to meditate at home. When attending group classes, take a sports suit or comfortable leggings, shorts.
A beginner will not be able to enter into a meditative state immediately. Therefore, it is important to start with preparation. It’s like a warm-up in sports. During the first lessons, the technique will be honed. It is important not to allow extraneous thoughts to distract the brain, to focus on something.
How to start on your own at home
There are several types of meditation. Some of the techniques have their nuances that are available only to adherents of certain schools. We have collected the most common practices that are not difficult to learn on your own. Detailed information is given, where to start, how to learn to meditate for beginners. With regular practice, the results will appear very soon.
Classical meditation for relaxation
This technique of meditation is often used before going to bed, it is also ideal for beginners, is a preparatory step. Nature sounds are used for the exercise. This is the singing of birds, the murmur of the stream, the whistling of the wind. Now all these records are in the public domain.
How to perform:
- Turn on meditative music.
- Sit in the Lotus position or just sit comfortably on the floor, rug, pillows, chair.
- Close your eyes, take three deep breaths and exhale.
- Imagine nature: a river, a mountain, a waterfall, trees. Place to choose at your discretion.
- Immerse yourself in your performance, focus on the beauty of nature, fresh air, natural sounds, and smells.
- After 20-30 minutes, finish the session, open your eyes, stretch, take a few deep breaths.
This meditation is recommended for beginners, as well as tired people who have problems with sleep, experiencing weakness.
Meditation on a candle
The second most popular meditation technique for beginners. Fire calms purifies, you can look at it indefinitely. It is allowed to use an ordinary household candle or with some flavor. It is important that there were no carvings, patterns, drawings on it. They will distract from the main task.
How to learn to meditate at home alone on a candle:
- Sit in a comfortable position, you can cross-legged or just on a chair. Put a candle in front of you, light it.
- Close your eyes, take a breath, let the air out.
- Open your eyes, look at the candle, direct your attention to the upper part of the flame. Focus on it, relax.
- After a few minutes, there will be tension in the eyes, it’s time to close them and imagine the candle flame in your heart, focus on it.
- Open your eyes again, keep looking at the flames. Repeat the exercise from 3 to 5-7 times.
- At the end take a deep breath, open your eyes slowly and stretch your legs.
Fire, like water, is purified from negative energy. Exercises are shown to people with nervous disorders who are in anger, depression, resentment, and anger. Instead of a candle for meditation use fire, a fireplace.
An ancient method of meditation, suitable for beginners. These classes can also be used as the first step to advanced techniques. This practice is often used to solve health problems, improve emotional state. Refer to it during the life of turmoil, problems in the relationship. Here is a detailed description of how to meditate at home for beginners, but this method is suitable for people with a developed imagination.
- Take a comfortable sitting position, straighten your back, move your head back a little. The ears should be directly above the shoulders, tilt, push forward don’t need anything.
- Close his eyes. Take a slow, deep diaphragm breath. Fill not only the lungs but also the stomach. Release the air.
- Imagine how your energy goes out and turns into a big ball of Golden color. It is not transparent, it glows from within, it flickers continuously, the person is inside it.
- With each new breath, the ball is filled with shimmering particles.
- When the visual ball is created, the person feels full, it’s time to move on to recovery, you need to say out loud your desire or intention, repeat several times.
Diaphragmatic breathing is always deep, it involves the chest and lower abdominal muscles. It can be observed in young children during sleep. This is the way to breathe in meditative practices. For the best effect, it is recommended to pre-ventilate the room. It is allowed to use incense sticks, candles or other incense.
Healing meditation «Awareness of the body»
You can learn to meditate on your own, beginners do not need anything for this, only desire and information. There is a lot of it is free access, techniques are described in detail. But regardless of the choice, it is important to develop self-awareness. Here is a very simple method that will teach you to feel and feel your body, its different parts.
- Sit in a comfortable position, not necessarily on the floor, and fit a chair. Straighten up. If you want to move, then do it now, so that you do not get distracted later.
- Take several deep breaths and exhale.
- Focus on the tips of your toes, what sensations are there in this area.
- Soon there will be a feeling of complete relaxation. It’s time to move your attention higher – it’s your knees. Also focus on them.
- Move higher: pelvic area, spine, fingers, elbows, neck. Finish by relaxing the face, the top of the head.
At the end of the meditation, you will feel the warmth in the whole body, it will be as relaxed as possible.
Chakra meditation to open the energy centers
Meditation on the chakras helps to open and clear the energy centers, fill them with life force. Regular spiritual practices help to harmonize the state of mind, as a result, there are fewer problems with health and life in general.
What are chakras?
Chakras are energy centers invisible to the human eye, the main component of the aura and the subtle body of the soul. It is believed that each chakra is a place of intersection of energy meridians through which prana — life-giving energy flows.
The location of the chakras
Before you start practicing spiritual practices, it is important to remember the location of each energy center:
- «Muladhara» is located at the base of the vertebral column, approximately where the coccyx is located.
- «Swadhisthana» is located in the lower abdomen, at the location of the human reproductive system.
- «Manipura» occupies a place in the area of the solar plexus.
- «Anahata» – heart chakra, it seems to cover the heart.
- «Vishudha» – in the pit at the base of the neck (or in the place where the Adam’s Apple is located in men).
- «Ajna» is in the center of the bridge of the nose.
- «Sahasrara» – on top of the head.
Contrary to popular opinion, the colors of the chakras are different for all people. This is individual. So don’t try to focus on a particular color.
Chakra meditation helps:
- Open the chakras, which eventually leads to healing from diseases, normalization of the psycho-emotional state, and the problem centers again turn into a “receiver” of vital energy.
- Clear-remove negative attitudes, emotions, and beliefs that interfere with the harmonious work of all components of the aura.
- To harmonize is to provide correct and coherent interaction of all the chakras. As a result, this leads to a colossal fullness. A person becomes able to live actively, happily, richly and successfully.
- Restore-removes energy holes and patches holes in the aura, which in the end has a positive effect on the state of mind. It also solves most of life’s problems.
The sequence of actions is as follows:
- Close your eyes and try to relax completely. Feel your whole body go soft, your muscles shut down. Walk your mind’s eye from the tips of your toes and hands to the top of your head, visualizing how your body stops being tense.
- Free your mind from thoughts. This is the most difficult stage. You can get away from everything that gets into the brain. For example, mentally imagine your fingers on your hands, then on your feet, or count. A good way is to concentrate on your breathing.
- Then meditation begins directly. Concentrate on the chakra you plan to work with. If your goal is to uncover all the energy centers, work through each one sequentially, moving from the bottom up, from the Muladhara.
- Continue to focus on the chakra. Wait for the appearance of unusual sensations in this area of the body: there may be a feeling of tingling, burning, a rush of heat. Try to feel the color. This is individual, different people have their feelings. Be prepared that it will not happen immediately.
- Do not forget to follow the breath — it should be deep, calm, measured.
- At the end of the meditation, slowly open your eyelids, run your palms up and down your face, and drink a glass of water.
Tip: if you can’t feel anything in the process of meditation, try to visualize the image of the chakra. Imagine it as a colored vibrating ball.
The effectiveness of meditation can be increased many times if you regularly engage in breathing practices, yoga, chanting mantras. But don’t try to do everything at once — study your soul gradually.
Meditation for a restful sleep. A boat
Let in fresh air before going to bed. It will help to saturate the blood with oxygen and make it easier to sleep. If you want, you can turn on a quiet relaxing music for greater relaxation of the body and mind (type “UCLA meditation” in the search bar and you will find examples of such music).
Lying on the bed, cover your eyes and start to monitor your breathing. Consciously control each breath and exhale, but do not interfere with the natural process. Gradually, your body will begin to relax.
Mentally imagine the image that you are in a boat that gently moves in time with the gentle waves. You are somewhere in the middle of the ocean, in the vast expanses where there is no place for fear and anxiety. You can hear the sound of the sea and soft music that lulls and calms.
If the practice went well, you will sleep soundly until the morning.
AA meditation as a way to fight alcohol addiction
It is worth noting that meditative practices to combat drug addiction are only suitable for those whose personality has not been significantly affected by degenerative changes under the influence of alcohol since meditation requires concentration.
In General, meditation is suitable for alcoholics who drink for any reason, since it reveals not only the hidden internal psychological problems of a person but also pays close attention to the state of the body’s bodily structures.
How to meditate to beat alcohol addiction
Provide a calm environment for meditation: place yourself so that no one will disturb you, turn off the phone, TV, close the Windows.
Sit in a comfortable position for meditation.
Turn your inner gaze on the body, feel the slightest pinch, the slightest problem, discomfort in a particular part of the body. Stop longer in the area where the most intense tension is felt, usually the area between the shoulder blades, neck, lower back, anus area. Try to gently relax the clamps, if it does not work, just stay in a state of full attention directed at this area.
In any case, do not try to relax the problem areas with a strong-willed effort! If you have no experience of meditation at all, audio recordings of yoga-Nidra, a psychological technique that the instructor recipes, can help. When you understand the essence of the technique, you will no longer need the recording.
Meditation is extremely useful for the human psyche, oppressed by the influence of alcohol and hidden psychological problems.
Psychological problems manifest themselves as projection clips in the body, and as they relax the alcoholic can see the true causes of their depressed state, remember the traumatic situations in the past that led him to this state, relive all over again and remove their internal negative assessment.
Meditation can not only overcome psychological problems but also increase the motivation for an alcoholic who has just embarked on the path of healing.
Can I meditate lying down?
Since most classes are held in a sitting position, many people are interested in whether it is possible to meditate lying down. There is even a special practice in yoga in the “Shavasana” position. Such classes help beginners to know the depth of their capabilities, allow you to relax not only the brain but also to relieve tension from all parts of the body. The tide of strength is provided!
The main problem of recumbent meditation for a beginner is not to fall asleep in the process since classes are held in the morning after waking up or in the evening at sunset. Only in appearance, the “Shavasana” pose seems simple it requires a thorough approach. Lying still and with closed eyes for a long time does not work for all people. It is important to get into balance, to catch the feeling of pleasure.
How many times a day (per week) do you need to do this
For visible results, it is necessary to meditate daily, especially for beginners. Sometimes they are engaged only on working days, it turns out 5-6 times a week. On weekends, meditators relax in other ways.
Another frequent question is how much you need to meditate a day. The ideal option is in the morning at sunrise and in the evening at sunset. Not everyone has this opportunity. Someone wakes up late, someone is distracted by noisy households. If it is impossible to retire, then the session is skipped or meditated once a day. It would be good if it was morning. Then a brisk and productive day lies ahead.
It’s okay if you can’t meditate on vacation or miss a few days for another reason. It is important to gradually return to the schedule, as good results can only be seen with a systematic approach.
Why do people meditate
The main goal is to become the best version of yourself. This is done for the people around you. Only healthy and active parents give happiness to children and relatives. Meditation gives strength and opportunity to work fully, helps the brain to generate interesting ideas.
Meditation cannot be considered a panacea. This is a kind of tool. If you learn how to use it correctly, it will be much easier to remove internal restrictions.
For beginners, meditation may seem like a difficult practice. There are several ways to learn how to meditate correctly. Most techniques are suitable for self-development, performing at home. If you want to go further, to learn complex and deep practices, it is wiser to turn to people who practice meditation at an advanced level.